BRANY recently completed an analysis to assess how principal investigators are enrolling in active clinical trials. The ten investigators listed below, along with their research teams, consistently enrolled subjects in their ongoing clinical trials, hitting their recruitment goal at an average of 70 percent or higher. We were impressed with these statistics and wanted to acknowledge their accomplishments.
- James Tauras, MD – Montefiore Medical Center
- Michael Schulder, MD – Northwell Health
- Winona Tse, MD – Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Jacqueline Barrientos, MD – Northwell Health
- Richard Furie, MD – Northwell Health
- Kevin Ferrick, MD – Montefiore Medical Center
- Suchitra Acharya, MD – Cohen Children’s Hospital
- Sanjay Goel, MD – Montefiore Medical Center
- David Bernstein, MD – Northwell Health
- Robert Grossberg, MD – Montefiore Medical Center
Recruitment rates of 70 percent or better are impressive especially when you consider that one of the biggest challenges facing principal investigators is the enrollment of participants. According to some reports, nearly half of research sites under-enroll study volunteers. With eligibility requirements increasing or growing more complex, this problem is likely to continue.
What can researchers do to have a successful experience? Here are some tips:
- Select trials that are truly suited for your practice and patient population
- Ensure staff are trained and engaged in achieving the goals for the clinical trial
- Bring awareness to patients and their families of the important role clinical trials play not only in the management of their disease/condition, but also the positive effects for our society.